Bulgaria planning FAQ
Planning a trip to Bulgaria
- Flying to Bulgaria: Flights including taxes $517 from the East Coast (www.kayak.com), $680 from the West Coast (www.cheaptickets.com).
- Best time to visit Bulgaria: May to September.
- Bulgaria country code: 359. To call Bulgaria from the U.S., dial 011-359 then the local area code (drop its initial "0") and number.
- Bulgaria tourist information: www.bulgariatravel.org.
Lodging options in Bulgaria
- Lodging options in Bulgaria - From hotels to farm stays, apartments to B&Bs, castles to cottage rentals...
Language: How to speak Bulgarian
Bulgarian is not easy—especially as they use the Cyrillic script (as in Russia).
A quick primer:
- "Hello" is zdravei.
- "Thank you" is blagodarya.
- "Please" is molya.
- "Yes" is da.
- "No" is ne.
Bulgarian cuisine runs to grilled meats and stews such as gyuvech casserole and spicy kavarma.
- Full meals—three courses and beer or wine—will set you back $10 to $15 tops—maybe $20 in Sofia.
- The keys to inexpensive, ultra-traditional meals are hanche, mehana, taverna, and skara-bira—all simple, tavern-like purveyors of hearty local fare, roughly in order from most restaurant-like to pub-like.
BULGARIA TOURS FROM OUR TRUSTED PARTNERS
Intrepid Travel 2011 Bulgaria trips
• Explore Eastern Europe (18 days; Hungary [Budapest, Eger], Romania [Maramures, Sighisoara, Viscri, Brasov, Sinaia, Bucharest], Bulgaria [Veliko Tarnovo, Sofia, Rila Mountains, Bansko, Plovdiv], Turkey [Istanbul])
G Adventures 2011 Bulgaria trips
• Budapest to Istanbul (14 days; Hungary [Budapest], Romania [Sighisoara, Brasov, Dracula's Castle/Bran, Bucharest], Bulgaria [Veliko Tarnovo, Belogradchik, Sofia, Plovdiv], Turkey [Istanbul])