The Seventh Continent
What you need to know to travel to Antarctica
2011 Antarctica sailings
• Antarctic Peninsula (10 days)
• Antarctica & Sub-Antarctic Islands (19 days)
• Antarctica & Weddell Sea (12 days)
• Antarctica & Polar Circle (12 days)
• Antarctica Classic(11 days)
• Antarctica Classic in Depth (13 days)
• Antarctica Classic Package (14 days)
• Quest for the Antarctic Circle (14 days)
• Quest for the Antarctic Circle Package (17 days)
• Spirit of Shackleton (20 days)
• Spirit of Shackleton Package (23 days)
• Patagonia Experience & Antarctica Classic (20 days)
• Patagonia Experience & Antarctica Classic in Depth (22 days)
• Patagonia Experience & Quest for the Antarctic Circle (23 days)
• Lake Districts of Patagonia & Antarctica Classic (21 days)
• Lake District of Patagonia & Antarctica Classic in Depth (23 days)
Antarctica lies at the ends of the Earth, the highest and driest landmass on the planet, home to 90% of the world's ice, about 3,000 people, and millions upon millions of penguins.
It also sees 33,824 visitors a year (those are for the 2010–11 season, down from a high of 46,265 in 2007–08).
Of those, fewer than 19,500 actually set foot on the Seventh Continent (the rest are on 500+-passenger cruise ships that merely ply the waters without making any landings).
That means a trip to Antarctica will have you joining a very select group of travelers. Here's how.
Finding the perfect Antarctic tour outfitter and cruise company - A list of top adventure outfitters and cruise companies offering Antarctic itineraries....
The basics: The FAQ for taking an Antarctic cruise - When should I go? How much will it cost? Where can I find a good outfitter or cruise?...
Questions to ask the cruise company - From sussing out the true costs and how long the trip really lasts to the savvy questions to ask about landings and the expedition crew....
Recommended books, guides, and movies - From guidebooks to wildlife guides to history and adventure books, plus DVDs to watch before you go....
Birding on the Falklands - Two days touring the Falkland Islands on the 25th anniversary of the war....
Antarctica Photo Album - Some of my best pictures of Antarctica, including South Georgia Island, and the Falkland Islands. There are plenty of photographs of cute icebergs and magnificent penguins (or was that the other way around?), all to help whet your appetite for your own trip down to the Seventh Continent....